Surely you have ever wondered what the most common English surnames are, either out of curiosity or to use it in some type of work that requires giving Anglophone names to different people. And surely, before looking for it, you have come to mind a few “Williams” ? “Most Common US Surnames” ? “Taylor” ?
Well yes, those three surnames are among the most used today in English-speaking countries, but none of them is the most common of all. That honor goes to someone else who you were probably about to say: “Smith . ”
And it is that according to some of the latest studies carried out in the 6 main countries of Anglophone tradition – England, Ireland, United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand- the surname “Smith” is the only one that appears within the TOP-10 of each and every one of them.
Although in fact, if it were not for the exception of Ireland, this plenary session would be repeated in the case of “Wilson” . And if in addition to Ireland, we discount Canada (where we remember French is also the official language) we have two other surnames that are among the most used in both England and the United States and on the two oceanic islands; “Jones” and “Williams” . Curious no?
Well, despite being the most used surname in English-speaking countries, “Smith” is only eighth in terms of the world ranking, behind Hispanic surnames such as ” Hernández” “González” or “García” and far of the Asians “Whang” “Zhang” or “Li”, which counting all its variants, has the honor of being the most common surname in the world. But beware, not only in eastern countries, and because of the large amount of historical immigration, it also takes the first place on the list in Canada!
And where does “Smith” come from ? Well, the commonly accepted theory says that its origin is in the way of referring to a metal worker, that is, a blacksmith. And in turn, this would be a derivation of the old English term ” smitan “, which would come to mean in Castilian “hurt, hit.” Its correct pronunciation is like this:
The truth is that it is very common to see Anglo-Saxon surnames that come from some trade. In this video we can see some of them:
Also curious is the case of Ireland, where despite the fact that the most frequent surname of all continues to be “Murphy” , we also find “O Kelly” “O Sullivan” “O Brien” “O Connor ”“ O Ryan ” or “ O Neill ” . This “Ó” (converted into “O ” in English where there are no accents) comes from Gaelic and means “grandson or descendant of”. Also very widespread in Ireland, although less than in Scotland, would be the “Mac” and its abbreviated version “Mc”(they are exactly the same word) which would come to mean “son of”. In fact there is a curious anecdote that speaks of a group of Scots with the surname “Mac Donald” (“son of the chief”) who settled in Spain in the Middle Ages and gave rise to the Castilianized “Maldonado” .
In the same way, a very similar origin have surnames of the type “Wilson” (they are of William) “Anderson” (they are of Andrew) “Jackson” (they are of Jack) etc. But then what happens to women’s surnames?
The answer to this is found in the tradition spread throughout the Anglo-Saxon world in which the wife takes the husband’s surname at the time of marrying him (or adds it to hers) and the child receives only the father’s. What you probably did not know is that the exception to this practice can be found in Wales, where the descendant receives only the maternal surname.
Factors and Hazards to Consider while Purchasing SSL Certificate
As you consider your options for purchasing an SSL certificate, there are a few factors you should keep in mind.
Look For Company
First, you’ll want to make sure that the company you’re about to purchase SSL certificate from has been around for a while and has a good track record. This will help ensure that they have experience with all of the technical aspects of SSL certificates and can provide you with accurate information about how best to secure your site.
Next, look into what type of support is offered by the company. If something goes wrong or if there’s an issue with their product, will they be able to address it quickly? You want to make sure that when problems arise, there is someone available who can help solve them as quickly as possible so that your customers aren’t impacted by any delays in website access or other issues.
Finally, consider the cost when you purchase SSL certificate. While some companies may charge more than others, keep in mind that there are many factors involved in determining a final price tag: not only do prices vary based on the number of years purchased at once (for instance), but they depend on what kind of server infrastructure exists at each location (such as multi-tier vs single-tier), whether or not.
While purchasing an SSL certificate you must also look for certificate validation.
SSL Certificate Justification
You’re probably wondering why we’re requiring a certificate. It’s basic. A testament is an approach to sensibly approve that the framework your client is associating with is no doubt the framework that you expected to address, for example, affirm that a Man in The Center (MiTM) assault hasn’t occurred. To do this, your client will validate the server’s certificate presented by the server:
- The declaration has been given (and in this way endorsed) by a Testament Authority (CA) which the client trusts.
- The certificate has been given for the area on which the server is running on.
- The certificate has not lapsed.
- The certificate has not been repudiated
To validate the certificate, the client compares the Common Name (CN) of the server’s certificate with the hostname of the server. If they match, the client will trust the certificate so long as it passes all other validation steps.
Wildcard takes Host Validation a Step Ahead!
Wildcard certificates are more flexible than regular certificates because they let you validate a server by its hostname rather than by its IP address (which may change over time). For example, if you have a web server with the hostname www.example.com and an IP address of 126.96.36.199 and you want to protect both of these items with a single certificate, you can create a wildcard entry that covers both of them in the SAN field.
Hazards of Wildcard Certificate
A wildcard certificate is a certificate that allows a domain to be used for multiple subdomains. They’re useful because they save on the cost of buying a new certificate each time you want to add a subdomain, but they have certain dangers that you need to be aware of.
The first danger is that if your private key is compromised, all of your subdomains will be vulnerable. If this happens, it’s possible that attackers will be able to access data belonging to other websites hosted on the same server as yours.
The second danger is that you lose some control over what happens with your domain name. An attacker could use the certificate to set up their own website with the same name as yours or redirect traffic from your site to another site owned by them.
In conclusion, while purchasing an SSL certificate, you should consider the factors and hazards mentioned above. It is important to know all the risks when you are about to purchase SSL certificate.
2022 Holiday Gift Guide: Dos and Don’ts When Choosing Holiday Gifts for Your Team
Whether you’re planning to give your employees holiday gifts this year or are simply stuck for ideas, you’ve found the right holiday gift guide. There are many things to consider before buying employee holiday gifts, as well as some ideas for getting creative. This holiday gift guide will provide you with the Dos and Don’ts of employee holiday gifts. If you’re looking for a curated holiday gifts with specific budgets, check out Snappy.
There are many things to keep in mind when buying employee holiday gifts. These include making sure the gift is thoughtful and well-received, and ensuring that the gift is not offensive to coworkers. If possible, choose holiday gifts that reflect the religious or cultural beliefs of your employees. However, don’t feel that giving non-secular gifts is off-limits; many employees will feel uncomfortable receiving gifts from employers that aren’t based on their beliefs.
Do: Make Sure It’s Appropriate
If you’re giving holiday gifts to co-workers, make sure the gifts are appropriate for that person’s gender and age. However, it’s ok to give gifts to superiors as long as it’s a token of appreciation. Also, if you’re buying for a team, make sure that the gifts are all of the same value. It would be unprofessional to leave out any team members, and it would be inappropriate to give gifts that are inappropriate for your employees.
Do: Try to Personalize the Gifts
Personalized gifts are more appreciated than generic gifts. This will show that you care about the person’s interests and that they’re not just names on a spreadsheet. You can choose gifts related to their interests, such as tackle shop gift cards. In addition, give personalized gifts to people who are in a particular category.
Do: Show You Acknowledge Their Contributions
Remember that people spend more time at work than at home, so buying them a gift that acknowledges their contributions to your company is a great way to show your appreciation. If you’re giving a gift to a coworker who talks about their favorite sports team often, consider getting team paraphernalia. Similarly, if they like snacking, get some snack wrappers. Regardless of how you decide to treat them, make sure the gift will make them smile.
Don’t: Exceed the Budget
Don’t be tempted to spend more than your company can afford. Holiday gift-giving can be expensive, especially for small businesses. However, it’s important to make your employees feel appreciated and valued. This will encourage them to work even harder to meet the next corporate goal.
Don’t: Send Overly Personal Gifts
While there are many benefits to exchanging gifts with coworkers, there are also pitfalls to avoid. For one, there are companies that don’t encourage gift-giving during the holiday season, and some employees just don’t have enough extra money to buy gifts for their colleagues. Other employees may be religious or don’t want to receive gifts, or they might be uncomfortable with the idea of receiving gifts from coworkers.
While there aren’t any strict rules on gift-giving at the office, it’s best to keep it professional and avoid giving gifts that are inappropriate for the workplace. Overly personal gifts could be interpreted as unprofessional conduct or worse, sexual harassment. If the gift is for a special occasion, such as a retirement or achievement, it’s best to give it after a celebration or announcement to avoid confusion and questions.
Items to consider
There are many items to consider when selecting holiday gifts for employees. While it is important to treat all employees equally, you also have to consider their individual tastes and preferences. For example, a wine gift set can include a bottle of wine, high-quality wine glasses, a bottle opener, and some snacks. You can also give an employee a gift basket that contains holiday treats and other holiday items. If you have a remote team, consider getting the employees’ home addresses so that you can deliver your gift.
- When buying employee holiday gifts, make sure to consider the employee’s interests and hobbies. You can also pick something inexpensive but useful, such as a coffee maker or a mug warmer. Some employees spend long hours on the computer, so it’s worth investing in a gift that will keep them entertained. If they spend a lot of time away from the office, a travel charging kit or an embossed luggage tag may be appropriate. You can also give a gift card for a local entertainment venue. A holiday gift box full of self-care items is another great idea. Items such as bath products, shower gels, and essential oils can help them feel more relaxed and refreshed.
- Another great item to consider is a branded candle. The popular Bottomless Mimosas candle by Anecdote Candles makes the perfect holiday gift for employees. The candle has a burn time of 40 to 50 hours and features citrus notes. Employees will love the scent of the candle and will be reminded of their brunch days. Additionally, the candle will easily fit into a swag bag or holiday party goodie bag.
- Another great gift idea for employees is a personalized dry-erase calendar. This handy item keeps your employee’s schedule at the forefront of their minds, while at the same time, making their day more enjoyable. A luxury tech gift is a great choice for an employee’s office and can also be customized with the company’s logo and color scheme.
- Another gift option for remote workers is a coffee mug. Personalized mugs with funny text can be a great way to thank your employees for their hard work. Free e-learning courses are also a great idea for employees who work from home. These courses help them upgrade their skills. For example, software developers may be interested in a cyber security course, while accountants might be interested in learning a new art form.
- A gift card can be a great option for surprising employees. Employees who love coffee may be pleasantly surprised to find out their favorite coffee shop will send them a special gift. Another great option is an experience gift card. This gift card can be used at a hotel, spa, or a local attraction. Coffee makers are also great employee gifts because many people like to drink coffee at work, so they’ll be happy to receive one.
Choosing the best holiday gifts for employees can help you create great relationships with them. Additionally, it can boost your company’s image and reputation. So make sure to plan ahead. This way, you can be sure you’ll find good gifts and avoid running out of time. Moreover, when shopping for gifts, remember that your gift should be something that you’d enjoy receiving yourself!
Ways to get creative
Whether you’re a new or experienced manager, there are many ways to get creative with employee holiday gifts. For example, you could host a “show-and-tell” holiday event where everyone can bring their favorite holiday traditions and share them. You could also host a drag-show or holiday cooking class. Or, you could send all your employees gift boxes in a single package. There are countless holiday gift guides that you can follow, so don’t sweat it!
- Personalized office supplies are an excellent gift for employees. These can range from engraved pens to personalized notebooks. You can even choose personalized business cards, too. Consider using the brand of your company to create a branded gift that fits with your company’s culture. It’s also a nice gesture to let people know that they are appreciated and valued.
- Personalized mugs are another great gift for employees. You can personalize them with their names or their favorite designs. Another good idea is to add a personalized Christmas message. This gift idea is a great way to show your appreciation for your employees and keep them motivated. And don’t forget about Employee Appreciation Day, which is the first Friday of March every year.
- Another way to get creative with employee holiday gifts is to give a virtual gift. You can purchase an online game or download a physical game that your employees can play with their friends. This way, they can play the game whenever they like. The games can be played in break rooms, Zoom meetings, and at home with friends.
- Another great gift idea is a personalized recipe plate that showcases your company’s logo. These can also be printed with your company’s favorite recipe. Another idea is to give your employees the freedom to pick a gift, which they’ll appreciate. There are also employee gifting services that allow employees to choose their own gift, such as Awardco.
- A dry-erase calendar with a personalized message is also a great gift idea. It helps your employees stay organized and keeps their schedule in the forefront of their minds. Another great idea is to give them something that will help them feel zen and focused while at work. You can also buy luxury tech gifts that feature your company’s logo or color scheme.
- A deck of cards is another inexpensive employee gift that will keep your employees entertained. You can put it in a holiday gift basket or pass it out at a company holiday party. You can also give them a cell phone stand. This will let them log on a Zoom call, watch videos, and listen to music. They are compact and easy to use. Another fun gift idea is a custom-designed deck of playing cards.
- If you want to get really creative with your employee holiday gifts, try presenting them with items that will make them smile. Chocolate covered pretzels, for example, are a great combination of sweet and salty. They come in a variety of flavors, including milk chocolate, sprinkles, and yogurt.
The holidays are a great time to make employees feel appreciated. However, holiday gift-giving can be a time-consuming and stressful task. If you’re not sure where to begin, consult human resources. They can give you guidelines for your gift-giving. If you’re buying something for a specific employee, make sure to consider the Dos and Don’ts in our holiday gift guide.
Check out Snappy.com for more information on holiday gift guides, gifting campaign curation and more!
Money Saving Tips When Planning a Destination Wedding
Destination weddings are steadily growing in popularity amongst brides and grooms of all ages, especially those planning small intimate celebrations. This may be in part due to the misconception that the cost of hosting a wedding abroad is cheaper, and that a couple’s budget will stretch further. When the price of travel, accommodation and transport of wedding attire are factored in the total can become out of control. Below are some money saving tips that can help keep your wedding budget reasonable.
1. Set a budget
One of the best ways to save money when planning a destination wedding is to create a budget at the outset before anything is purchased or rented for the wedding. Set aside a specific amount of money to cover the cost of the various aspects of the event. By keeping track of your expenses, you will be able to see where you are able to save money and where you can splurge. This will allow you to keep your finances under control and make the best use of your available resources.
2. Hire a wedding planner
This may appear to be adding an extra cost to the final bill but hiring a wedding planner, especially for a destination wedding is definitely worth it. An experienced planner can recommend cost-saving options and help you stay on budget without compromising your vision as they often have access to exclusive discounts or established relationships from vendors and venues. Therefore, with the help of a wedding planner Lake Como, the dream of an exclusive wedding in Italy can become a reality.
3. All-inclusive packages
In order to save money when booking a wedding venue, seek out those that offer all-inclusive wedding packages. They offer accommodation for the bridal party and guests in addition to providing you with everything you need to host the wedding in one location. This includes everything from tables and chairs to caterers and equipment rentals. This will ensure that you won’t have to hire additional vendors to provide these items, which can significantly reduce the overall cost of your wedding.
4. Plan off-peak
It goes without saying that by avoid the peak wedding season in the summer months you are more likely to find better deals when it comes to hiring a wedding venue. Consider an autumn or winter wedding, depending on your destination it is likely that the weather will still be mild. Getting married mid-week is also a more economical choice that at the weekend. Contact locations and negotiate to get the best price possible.
5. Choose a relaxed meal option
Another way to save money on your destination wedding is to keep catering costs down. One way to accomplish this is to choose a local restaurant for your guests to dine at. This will help to lower costs for guests. The opportunity to dine at a local authentic restaurant will add to the experience. A barbeque or a fancy brunch style meal are also great alternative options. If you prefer the traditional approach, you can also opt for buffet-style meals instead of sit-down dinners, which will save you additional money.
Finally, if you plan to have alcohol at your wedding, it is a good idea to serve drinks instead of having an open bar. This way, you will keep expenses to a minimum while still providing an enjoyable experience for everyone in attendance.
6. Hire locally
Another great way to save money when planning a destination wedding is to hire professionals such as photographer, videographers and musicians from the destination you are getting married in. This will avoid the need to pay travel expenses in addition to the cost of hiring him or her. By hiring professionals who specialize in weddings in your chosen region you will save money and they will have plenty of knowledge and experience.
Changes to Consider for the New Year
Top Solar Finance Companies
How Do I Obtain Divorce Papers?
A Fresh Graduates’ Guide in the Workplace
Vinyl Burlington Windows And Doors
These are the essential things you need to know prior to making a deposit at an Online Casino
The Primary Advantages Of Video Marketing
Why A Contact Center Is Essential in Today’s Business Landscape?
Healthy Pregnancy: Importance of Prenatal Care
Indoor Air Quality and Why Air Filters Matter
- Cleaning laundry
- Dog Breeds
- Expert Advice
- Healthy Pets
- Home Decor Ideas
- Life Style
- Near Me
- Real estate
- Social Media
- Tips and guide
Tech1 week ago
How to Pitch a Logo Design to Clients
Pets1 week ago
How Did Civet Cat Land In Coorg?
Tech1 week ago
Convert JPG to PDF at 200 KB or Less
Travel1 week ago
How to prepare for a bicycle trip
Home Decor Ideas1 week ago
A Look Inside the Stunning Truoba House Designs
Business1 week ago
KuCoin P2P Rules – Amazing Facts
Business1 week ago
How an industrial robotic arm can aid in the optimization of your production line
Tips and guide7 days ago
Real People Search Review: Why This Platform Is Your Best Option To Find People